Eddie Mrozik and Nancy Van Wie, co-founders of Crane Mountain Valley Horse Rescue, Inc. have a lifelong love for horses, and 50+ years of combined equine rescue and rehabilitation experience. We have been members of the North American Horseman's Association, New York State Horse Council, American Quarter Horse Association, New York Racing Association, and have served as Animal Control Officers, founding members of the Essex County Animal Cruelty Task Force and the Essex County Animal Emergency Response Team.
Eddie, who worked at Belmont and Aqueduct race tracks as a youth, quickly discovered the intuitive nature of these amazing and majestic animals. Ruffian, his equine hero, was a filly who outclassed every race horse with her heart and speed. She won each victory with ease, until her life tragically ended mid-stride from a leg fracture. It was then that Eddie decided he wanted to devote his life to saving these animals who, for centuries, have given their lives to humans.
Nancy's father bought her first pony when she was just three years old. She and Gingo spent the next 24 years together until he had to be humanely euthanized at the age of 30 when terminal cancer diminished his quality of life. The two of them attended the University of Vermont, where Nancy managed the UVM Horse Club Barn and lived on the UVM dairy farm where she milked cows to pay rent. Since then, she has been rescuing and rehabilitating horses, one at a time, dedicating personal financial resources and all of her spare time to their care. For some 50 years, horses have been her passion and her life.
When Nancy and Eddie met, it was magic. The more horses they saved, the more they realized they were leaving behind. The statistics are staggering. 50,000-100,000 are commercially slaughtered each year in the US, and many more die inhumanely from abuse, neglect or the lack of knowledge to properly care for the animals. In May of 2002, they established Crane Mountain Valley Horse Rescue, Inc. as a not-for-profit organization to increase the number of horses they can save, with the help of caring people like you.
They operate Crane Mountain Valley Horse Rescue, Inc. from their Westport farm. Eddie manages the farm as a full-time volunteer. Nancy also dedicates about 30-40 hours per week to the rescue efforts, in addition to working full time for The Adirondack Chapter of The Nature Conservancy and The Adirondack Land Trust. They haven't taken a vacation in 16 years and work 24/7 rain, sleet, snow or shine. "Vacation time" is spent hosting educational workshops, school programs to teach kindness and compassion for all living beings, opportunities for developmentally disabled adults to interact with the horses to build self-confidence and self-esteem, and for major farm repairs and projects. It's truly a labor of love. They do it for the community, for the horses and to help make this world a better place.
Crane Mountain Valley Horse Rescue, Inc. is funded by tax-deductible donations and adoption fees. Because Nancy and Eddie volunteer all of their time, including web-site maintenance, newsletter and grant-writing, horse care, farm chores, training, volunteer management and leading educational workshops and seminars, and because they own the farm, equipment and pay for all the building and maintenance from their own pockets, 90% of your tax-deductible donation goes directly to the care of the animals. The remaining 10% covers administrative expenses like newsletters, postage, phone, web-site hosting, and utilities that keep the horses safe and warm. We cannot save them without your support. A gift of any amount will truly make a difference --- and will save a life. Please give as generously as you can.
A not-for-profit organization for equine rescue and rehabilitation.